OAHU | PARADISE COVE LUAU & WHY I LOVE TOURIST TRAPS

Must Do Things In Oahu | Paradise Cove Luau
Whether it’s being hustled into snapping pictures with snake charmers in Marrakesh or visiting any of these Underwhelming Roadside Attractions, I am all about tourist traps. I love how unapologetically tacky they can be. I am also intrigued by the fact that tourist traps become traps for a reason–they are usually just plain awesome. And what could be a bigger (or more thrilling) tourist trap than the Paradise Cove Luau
I mean, where else could Warren and I pose with unabashed glee holding paddles whilst beached in a canoe?
Oahu Things to Do | Paradise Cove Luau
Paradise Cove is literally everything you could want out of a luau–lots of swishing hula hips, whole pigs baked underground, and traditional Hawaiian crafts and games. We witnessed a “fisherman” casting his net and fancy hula footwork galore. We downed gallons of delicious Lava Flows and ate an obscene amount of kalua pork (I can’t wait to try Skinny Taste’s crock pot kalua pork).
Oahu Luau | Paradise Cove

I also took every opportunity to fine tune my warrior face. Granted, it’s hard to look terrifying in a neon mullet dress, but at least I tried.
Must Do Things In Oahu | Paradise Cove Luau
Unlike Warren, whose “warrior face” resembles that of a sick goat.
At least he was able to regain his street cred by becoming a certified hula dancer. And yes, he has the certificate to prove it. It’s hanging on our fridge–right next to his Most Artistic Use of the Mustache award from last year’s Victorian Days. We take the wins where we can get them.

Must Do Things In Oahu | Paradise Cove Luau, Hula Lessons

Paradise Cove’s location really can’t be beat. It’s right on the ocean with a view that goes on for miles.

Must Do Things In Oahu | Paradise Cove Luau
We got to watch our friend fire dance his heart out. It’s kind of impressive (read: very).
Must Do Things In Oahu | Paradise Cove Luau, Fire Dancer
And let’s not forget the totally awesome Tahitian dancers with their coconut bras and feather headdresses.

Paradise Cove Luau - Tahitian Dancer
And the sunset–good grief. Hawaii sure knows how to do a sunset. This is may be my favorite photo from the whole trip, even though it looks like it belongs on the wall of a dentist’s office, right next to a Magic Eye poster.
Have you ever been to Hawaii? What was your favorite thing to do (tourist trap or otherwise)?

Must Do Things In Oahu | Paradise Cove Luau

Linked to Travel Photo Mondays and Travel Tuesdays

Never Miss A Recipe!

Subscribe to receive new recipes via email PLUS access to my free digital downloads library!

A password will be emailed to you after your subscription is confirmed.

Comments

1. says

I really needed some pics of paradise on this Monday morning. Thanks. Also, is this the Luau in Ko'Olina? It looks familiar. We stay in Ko'Olina when we go.

• says

I hear you–especially since it's so randomly cold today… This is the Paradise Cove Luau, which I'm pretty sure is in Ko'Olina. So gorgeous over there!

• says

Thanks, Brittany! I hope you get to put Hawaii on your list in the future. This was our first time there too and we are scheming about ways to get back ๐Ÿ™‚

2. says

We love Paradise Cove – it is a neighbor in a manner of speaking as we spend a month a the Marriott Ko Olina nearby — our timeshare other home. Before and after the luaus are really a good time at the Cove – we often find ourselves alone on that wonderful beach.

3. says

What an amazing time you must have had! Your pictures are so cute! Ps- I love tourist traps too! Stuff like that is so much fun and I also think it's great for kids because it's sorta educational. Maybe someday I'll get my brood to Hawaii, and if I do, we'll be sure to check out Paradise Cove.

4. says

what's not to like with tropical drinks, amazing sunsets, great pupus and an incredibtle show, luaus are part of the fun experience in Hawaii, kitch and all, thanks for linking up today

• says

Zainab, I could really go for a lava flow right about now. What is it about late Monday afternoons that just make me want to die? Dreaming about paradise does help. A little ๐Ÿ™‚

5. says

I am so proud of my brother for being a certified hula dancer. If you had told me growing up he would do that I don't think I would have believed it. I think he should show us his moves next week. We have a friend that made her husband wear a coconut bra for the 4th of July. We could try to borrow it to really get the spirit going for Warren. ๐Ÿ™‚

• says

You totally need to bring the coconut bra! Warren still takes every opportunity to show off what he learned during the hula lesson. He's game for pretty much anything, which must seem quite the contrast from his shy childhood ๐Ÿ™‚

• says

Maybe he was always like this but having 3 loud sisters surrounding him made him retreat. ๐Ÿ™‚ Emma has a hula skirt so we may need to have a little party next weekend with the 2 of them dancing.

6. says

I love how you embrace the tourist trap and maybe I should try that, too! I went to Hawaii with my parents when I was in high school and I loved it. The slow, easy pace and yes to the sunsets! The fire dancing IS super impressive. Loved your neon mullet dress comment, ha! You two are so cute!

7. says

I loved Hawaii but not their prices. I don't mind the tourist traps either as long as it is not overly crowded but it is also nice to just get away and explore other places too.

• says

We were so glad we rented a car so we could explore the less densely populated (and so very gorgeous) areas of Oahu. I'll be sharing more about those next week!

8. says

Tourist traps are definitely interesting and usually fun – plus, they're usually a success for good reason! ๐Ÿ˜€
    (p.s. I replied to your comment on my blog in the thread cuz you have a no-reply address!)

9. says

Hi Amy, your photos are lovely and your narratives are so so fun. You right, tourist traps are tourist traps for a reason. The only island I've been in Hawaii is Kuaia. I loved it because it was not too touristy, so we didn't really come across any tourist traps Or maybe we were just too focus on the hiking that we didn't get to encounter one.

• says

Thanks, Marisol! Kauai sounds like such a dream come true and I would love to visit one day. Sometimes you just want a peaceful and beautiful traveling experience, minus tourist traps ๐Ÿ™‚

10. says

Wow, looks a fantastic and lot enjoyable tour! really, a remarkable tour. thanks for sharing your experience with us through this post. all the photographs are so much splendid.

11. says

Yes a hawaii post! I used to live on Oahu so I love all things Hawaii. I did not go to this one, but heard it was fun. Glad you guys had such a great time and I just love all the photographs. Makes me want to go back home to island life. Thank you for linking up with Belinda and I for Travel Tuesday!

Bonnie Rose | A Compass Rose