- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cup crumbled baked pie crust, divided in half (Warren whipped up our favorite Cream Cheese Crust adapted from The Pie and Pastry Bible but you can also just bake a pre-made crust and crumble that. Either way, before baking, brush the crust with milk and sprinkle with sugar.)
First, roast the strawberries. To do so, combine strawberries with 1/3 cup sugar in an 8-inch glass dish (do not spray or oil the glass). Roast at 375 degrees F for 8 minutes, or until just soft. Cool slightly, then puree the berries in a blender. Measure 1/2 cup of the puree and set the rest aside to top the ice cream or for another use.
- 2 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup sugar
See what else I’m craving on my Pinterest boards.
Also, a few more reasons to love berries and ice cream: