Cake Batter Truffle Ice Cream + New Website!

Cake Batter Truffle Ice Cream! Via Club NarwhalOkay, first things first: Cake Batter Truffle Ice Cream!!! You guys, this stuff is magic and I’ll yammer on and on about it in just one second because next things next: new website! OMG! Why has it taken me this long?? There are still quite a few kinks I need to iron out but I figured if I kept waiting for it to be perfect I’d never make the switch. I have a whole post dedicated to introducing all the fun stuff going on here so moving right along to thirdsies, and probs most importantly:

Introducing James Felix Anderson
Yep, we have ourselves a bambino! Mr. James Felix Anderson finally arrived on July 18 (8 days late, not that I was, like, counting or anything) and we’re celebrating his one month birthday today by eating scoop after scoop of this ridiculously awesome Cake Batter Truffle Ice Cream. This dreamy concoction is kind of like cookie dough ice cream–except that we used cake batter truffles in lieu of cookie dough.

I repeat: we used cake batter truffles in lieu of cookie dough. Yes, wrap your mind around that glorious-ness and know that it was such a good decision

Cake Batter Truffle Ice Cream! Via Club Narwhal
Also: sprinkles. Because what is a birthday celebration without sprinkles?

Cake Batter Truffle Ice Cream! Via Club Narwhal
Warren has been badgering me for ages to make this ice cream. It came to me in a literal dream months ago and when I woke up and told Warren that such things had come to pass he pretty much salivated on the spot.

Mostly because he adores Cake Batter Truffles. They are our go-to potluck dessert (well, when we’re not making Peanut Butter Pie) and my co-workers regularly demand that I bring in a double batch for every holiday.

Introducing James Felix Anderson
I have a feeling that Felix will be demanding these truffles when he gets old enough to devour them straight from the mixer. Also, I could just nibble on those chubby cheeks for hours. Newborns must be required to be all sorts of cute in order for their parents to survive the long, sleepless nights, endless diaper changes, and general zombie-ness.

Though I am so glad that what all my mom pals told me held true for us–the first two weeks are THE WORST (seriously, THE WORST) but by one month, life settles back to a new kind of normal.

Cake Batter Truffle Ice Cream! Via Club Narwhal
Our new normal looks a lot like pure chaos at the moment–basically like Buy Buy Baby exploded in every corner of our house–but we are getting into the groove. We were lucky enough to have our dear friends supply us with a steady stream of meals for the first three weeks so we didn’t even think about cooking until recently.

And “cooking” mostly involves eating Trader Joe’s frozen Indian food. I mean, we put it in the oven so that’s kind of like cooking, right?

Cake Batter Truffle Ice Cream! Via Club NarwhalBut back to Cake Batter Truffle Ice Cream. Because those little chunks of truffles are so totally ace with our favorite vanilla base (Jeni’s Ice Creams, you never fail us–remember Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Ice Cream? Or Lemon Biscotti Ice Cream?).

While you don’t need to make a full batch of the cake batter truffle filling, I think you should just so you can make leftovers into actual cake batter truffles (just roll the filling into balls and dunk into melted almond bark–be ready to be hailed as a conquering hero by anyone who eats them)!

Cake Batter Truffle Ice Cream! Via Club Narwhal
Pretty much wanted to face plant into this cone.

Cake Batter Truffle Ice Cream! Via Club Narwhal
And cones make the best kind of messes.

Cake Batter Truffle Ice Cream! Via Club Narwhal
Kind of like this grumpster:

Introducing James Felix Anderson
Seriously, I can’t even with that face! I love how concerned he looks pretty much all the time.

Long story short, thanks to dear little Felix things will likely be a little sporadic around these parts for the next little bit. But, I am so excited to be in this new space with all sorts of fun newfangled additions and can’t wait to get back into the kitchen!

Until next time, I strongly encourage you to pull on your party hats and whip up a batch of this ice cream. It does summer (and Felix!) proud.

Introducing James Felix Anderson

5.0 from 4 reviews
Cake Batter Truffle Ice Cream + New Website!
Celebrate summer with this delicious Cake Batter Truffle Ice Cream!
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: Ice Cream
Serves: 1 quart
  • For the Vanilla Ice Cream Base
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1½ ounces cream cheese, room temperature
  • ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 1¼ cups heavy cream
  • ⅔ cups sugar
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1½ cups (or more!) Cake Batter Truffles, crumbled or rolled into marble-sized balls
  • ⅓ cup rainbow sprinkles
  • For the Cake Batter Truffles
  • ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • ½ cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1½ cups all purpose flour
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup Funfetti (or yellow) cake mix, dry
  • 2 tablespoons rainbow sprinkles
  • 3 tablespoons milk, more if needed to reach play dough consistency
  1. For the Vanilla Ice Cream Base
  2. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons milk to form a slurry. Set aside. In another small bowl, mix the cream cheese and salt together. Set aside. Put the rest of the milk, cream, sugar, and corn syrup in a large, heavy bottomed pot (like a stock pot). Bring to a boil and boil for exactly four minutes (I set my phone’s timer to make sure it was accurate). It will boil and foam like crazy.
  3. While the milk is boiling, put a ziplock bag in a tall, wide container (I used my blender) and fold the top over the container’s edge so you can safely pour the boiled ice cream base into the bag. Set aside. After four minutes, take the pot off the heat and add the cornstarch slurry. Return to a boil for one minute, take off the heat again. Add the cream cheese to the boiled milk and whisk any clumps out.
  4. Pour into the prepared ziplock bag, seal it, and submerge in an ice bath. If you’re making the ice cream the same day, just make sure the base is very cold before adding it to the machine. I just refrigerated it overnight. Add the base to your frozen ice cream barrel and swirl for 15 minutes. The base should be frozen, a little more liquid than soft serve.
  5. At this point, drop in chunks of cake batter truffles (instructions below--I kind of crumbled it with my fingers and added some marble-sized balls) and ⅓ cup of rainbow sprinkles. Transfer ice cream to a bread pan lined with plastic wrap or parchment paper. Freeze for at least 2 hours or overnight. Let ice cream sit on the counter for 10 minutes before serving.
  6. For the Cake Batter Truffles
  7. In a stand mixer or large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until well combined. Add vanilla extract then add flour, salt, cake mix, and sprinkles and mix together. The mixture will have a sandy texture. Add milk and mix until dough comes together without falling apart--a play dough consistency. Add a little more milk if the mixtures is too dry. Use 1½ cups of the truffles to crumble into the vanilla ice cream base (though we may have used closer to 2 cups to get lots of truffle chunks)!

Vanilla Ice Cream Base adapted from Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams
Cake Batter Truffle Filling adapted from Chef in Training

Need more party time in your life? Let’s totes be Pin Pals! Check out The Party Store Pinterest board!

Cake Batter Oreo Stuffed Cheesecake Bars
Cake Batter Oreo Stuffed Cheesecake Bars | Club Narwhal

Birthday Cake Oreo Popcorn
Birthday Cake Oreo Popcorn | Club Narwhal

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Ice Cream
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Ice Cream | Club Narwhal

Never Miss A Recipe!

Subscribe to receive new recipes via email PLUS access to my free digital downloads library!

A password will be emailed to you after your subscription is confirmed.

• amyleescott says

Thanks so much, Katrina! We can’t wait for him to taste sugar for the first time–if he’s anything like us, we will have a little sugar monster on our hands 🙂

1. says

I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT. Everything. James is beautiful, and congratulations to him on his one month! And the ice cream? Yes. So appro. And the new blog! Amy, it’s SO YOU! Great things, great things. Congrats!!!

• amyleescott says

You’re the best, Sarah! It only took months and months after our chat but I did it–thanks for that last push I needed to leave Blogger 🙂

2. says

Amy!!! The new website design and meeting James Felix . . so we’re calling him Felix? LOVE the name! I don’t know what I love more?! probably your cute little new bambino!!! Congrats! and girl, kudos to you for getting a blog post up! and hey frozen food from TJ’s is perfectly acceptable!! Keep the photos coming. . so happy for you and Warren!

• amyleescott says

Aw, thanks so much, Alice! It took awhile for me to get on board with switching from Blogger but I’m so glad I did! Yep, we are calling him Felix, even though Warren never wanted to call our kids by their middle names (since he goes by his middle name and it was annoying in school) but we’re doing I anyway 🙂 We are well stocked on TJ’s so hopefully that will keep us in business for the next few weeks!

• amyleescott says

You are too kind, Nicole! There’s been a lot of upheaval around these parts but I think things are finally settling down 🙂

3. says

Congratulations!!! He is SO gorgeous and absolutely adorable. That yawning pic! And this ice cream…he’ll definitely grow up to be a cake batter truffle fan – how could you not be?!

• amyleescott says

Thanks, Rachel! We’re so excited he’s finally here 🙂 Now we just have to teach him the ways of the food world 🙂

• amyleescott says

Thanks so much, Kait! Warren teased me that I take pictures of our kid just like I take pictures of food 🙂 Thanks so much for stopping by!

4. says

OMG! That sweet, little nugget!! He is magic! Those faces and that hair! GAH!

And this ice cream! AND THE SITE! It looks great. Like, seriously jels of those heart social buttons. I’m still working on finishing the design on mine, I totally get it, but you know, I don’t have a newborn (srsly, how are you doing this all?)!

• amyleescott says

His cheeks are so pinchable, it’s all I can do to stop from mauling this kid every second 🙂 I’m so excited to see how your site comes together–the changes you made already are awesome!

5. says

Oh my goodness! He is just adorable! I love, love, love his name too. It’s one of my favorite boy names and the only reason we don’t have a Felix is that my sister has dibs on it. 🙂 I’m glad you have settled into some kind of new normal. It is hard! But it will get better and then harder in a different way and so on, but it’s all worth it. Love the ice cream and the new site and everything!

• amyleescott says

Alexis, we love the name Felix and it was a total dark horse–a last minute decision that we just adore! I’m glad that someone in your family will be using it :)And thanks for the encouragement–it’s already so much better than those first 2 blurry weeks.

6. says

Oh my gosh, Amy, I’m so excited that I can comment here – yay!!
    Now for that amazing little Felix – too adorable! And that one very concerned face reminds me of Winston Churchill. A very wise little one, lol. He’s so amazing and these photos you are taking of him are truly stunning!

And your new site – gorgeousness, girl! Love the layout and it allows your beautiful photography to truly shine.

The cake batter truffle ice cream? You’re killing me! Ice cream is something that I indulge in more than I should but one has to live a little, right? I will make this when my little nephews come over and they will love me forever, lol.

Congrats on all the wonderful things happening in your life, Amy!

• amyleescott says

Yeay, so glad commenting is working for you, Robyn! I’m really digging WordPress 🙂 And I love that he reminds you of Churchill–that is quite the person to grow into! Thanks so much for your sweet words, they made my day.

7. says

Oh Amy he is precious!! Felix is just handsome and I’m so glad he is doing so well! Happy one month buddy! Elliott is just two weeks behind you. Also this ice cream is KIller!! Ps: sending you an email back tonight as we burn the midnight candle! Oh PSS: the new site is GORGEOUS!!

• amyleescott says

Thanks, Z! I’m so glad I have a fellow new mama to commiserate with 🙂 This first month is crazy, right!? I hope Elliott and Felix get to meet someday 🙂 We’ll make them a batch of this ice cream!

8. says

Your babe is so handsome!!!!!! July 18th is my other half’s birthday. Cancers are patient, kind people – what a little sweetheart!! So happy for you.
    And these photos?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gorgeous to infinity, as always. But these are extra fabulous.
    Your site looks amazing!
    And please give me your ice cream.

I think that’s all for now 🙂

• amyleescott says

Oh, I love that definition of cancers, Heather! I’m a cancer or Gemini depending on the year (born right on the cusp) and I wish I had more cancer traits–let’s hope Felix gets them! Sending you a scoop 🙂

9. says

First off, congratulations!!! Felix is soooo beautiful! I love all of his faces – I don’t blame you for wanting to munch on those cheeks!! Secondly, your website looks so awesome – I love it. Last, but certainly not least, YESSSS to this ice cream. Oh my…cake batter truffle ice’s certainly something out of a dream. I totally want to face plant in it too. So much amazingness here today, Amy! So happy for you <3

• amyleescott says

Thanks, lovely! He makes the best faces–we can’t sop taking phone pics of him 🙂 I’m so glad I have a fellow face planter for this ice cream!!!

• amyleescott says

That grumpy face is definitely our favorite–though I’m excited to see him actually smile in a few weeks 🙂 Ice cream is the best celebratory food, right?!

• amyleescott says

Thanks so much, Kelly! We love him so much already–sending you a few scoops of this ice cream 🙂 Have a lovely weekend!

10. says

Love, love, love. The site. The ice cream. That baby! That grumpy face and bowtie! I can’t even. So stinkin cute! And let me just tell you, I have 4 kids and the chaos just becomes normal life. If you ever slow down enough to really think about it you’ll realize it. Otherwise you’ll be too busy and that’s ‘normal’. That ice cream though! Brilliant! I want it all!

11. says

Amy, I don’t think I could be around you or work in your office because I would eat ALL OF YOUR FOOD and probably not share! Haha! There’s just too much goodness that you combine in ways that are next level. Can’t process!

And congrats on your bambino! He’s so cute! And so expressive already!!! Aww you’re a mommy now!!!

12. says

Oh Amy, Felix is so adorable. One month already? Time flies! Soon enough he will be able to enjoy this ice cream with you & Warren (and I’ll join you guys virtually). Love your new site and all the colors. So festive and fun to read.

13. says

SO CUTE! I love the way the post goes between baby and ice-cream, and back and forth… both make me smile. You have a real cutie on your hands, and a great sounding recipe!

14. says

EEEE! That adorable little squishy face omg! He is just precious, Amy! And your new site! You finally came over to the dark side (aka the awesome side)! So so so so so happy for all the goodness in your life! And also, this ice cream which I must make right meow.

• amyleescott says

Aw, you are the NICEST, Karly! It’s good to be back (and I love the dark side so much, can’t believe it too me so long to make the jump!). We are busy bees right now but it is also so nice not to deal with the commuting 9-5 for a few more weeks!

15. says

Mmmm, I love all the sprinkles in your ice cream! It’s so funny when recipes come to us in dreams, I’ve dreamed up the strangest concoctions before! And congrats on your baby, the pictures are beautiful 🙂