These baked Dark Chocolate Strawberry Donuts make it more than okay to eat chocolate covered strawberries for breakfast!
Dark chocolate + strawberries = soul mates forever and ever, am I right? Combine those two perfect flavors into baked donuts and I’m pretty sure they are the only things I will eat for breakfast from now on!
Can I confess something? I used to hate donuts. I know. What kind of monster am I?
And, yep, I was totally That Kid at the birthday party who snubbed cake in favor of ice cream.
You would obviously never know that, especially after seeing that Black Magic Cake (and what a gorgeous beast that thing was), because I’ve since come around to the joy that is cake in all its many forms.
I wanted to recreate the dense fudgey goodness of that Black Magic Cake (because, like brownies, I like my cakes midnight black and fudgey as all get out) but with a flirty nod; hence: strawberries!
Plus, since I knew I was making these cuties to celebrate Cate from Chez Catey Lou and her pending baby girl, I had to throw in a splash of pink in the form of crumbled freeze dried strawberries.
Don’t they make the sweetest sprinkles?
I can’t stop thinking about things to put them on (strawberry shortcake, I’m coming for you)!
But the chocolate fiend within couldn’t hold herself back so there’s also a version of this donut just absolutely drenched in dark chocolate glaze.
Because why not have your cake and eat it, too, duh!
Cate, I am so beyond excited for you! I had always been on the fence when it came to babies but now that dear Felix is in our lives, I really cannot imagine things without him. It’s like after I got married and I could hardly remember life pre-Warren, and it was a good thing.
Babies are just the snuggliest, strangest little things and I know your little lass is going to expand your lives and fill it with so much goodness and joy (sleepless nights and all)!
So let’s raise a glass (of milk) to Cate and her little babe–congrats! I cannot think of a better way to welcome spring than newborn snuggles!
Baked Dark Chocolate Strawberry Donuts
- 1 cup flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- ½ cup freeze dried strawberries, crumbled
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate Glaze
- 3-5 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pink melting chips
- ¼ cup freeze dried strawberries, crumbled
- Strawberry Glaze
- For the donuts: Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Put dry ingredients (except for sugar) in a medium bowl and whisk to combine (measure ½ cup slices of freeze dried strawberries, then crumble with your fingers into smaller chunks).
- Pour buttermilk in a glass measuring cup and add the sugar, egg, butter, and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine. Pour into bowl with dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula to combine. Transfer batter into a frosting bag (or plastic zip bag and cut the tip). Spray donut pan with nonstick spray. Use frosting bag to fill each donut mold and bake for 12-13 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While donuts are baking, make glazes. To make the chocolate glaze, heat milk for 30 seconds in the microwave and add dry ingredients. Whisk to combine. To make the strawberry glaze, melt candies in a glass bowl. Dunk the tops of the donuts in whichever glaze suits your fancy and top with more crumbled freeze dried strawberries.