First of all, how in the world is this year almost over? Second of all, how excited are you for Thanksgiving!? I am so delighted for this pending Holiday of Mandatory 24-Hour Feasting that I am participating in not one but two Thanksgiving blogger fests this week! Today I am delighted to join forces with Feast + West and Cake ‘n’ Knife for their lovely Blogsgiving Dinner.
For the first stop in the progressive dinner, we are sharing hors d’oeuvres and first courses. So of course I decided to bring my favorite butternut squash soup to the party. Like the Cheesy Skillet Cornbread I shared last week, this recipe is so, so simple and so, so worth making. Plus, it has cornbread croutons! And walnuts! And cheese! Because you know how I feel about cheese.
As you well know, Ina Garten is my spirit animal. Side note: my dream BFF is basically a blend of Ina Garten and Mindy Kaling with a not so subtle dash of Amy Poheler. Just think of the magnificent creature such a combination would yield. It is almost too glorious to think about–like staring straight into the sun–and too tragic, since it is a fantasy that will never come to pass.
But I digress.
Back to butternut squash soup.
This one is magical. Deep notes of curry paired with zingy Gorgonzola, woodsy walnuts, and sweet apples–plus, the ingenious bonus that is Cheesy Skillet Cornbread in crouton form. While it is not mandatory to crouton-ify cornbread (this soup is just fine served with a fat wedge of the stuff), I love their crunchy contrast to the smooth soup.
So, as with all such deep matters, just do what your heart says. It will never lead you astray–at least, not in crouton-related questions.
Classic Butternut Squash Soup With Walnuts, Gorgonzola, And Cornbread Croutons
- For the Butternut Squash Soup:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 2 large butternut squash (5 lbs. total), peeled and diced
- 4 gala apples, diced (not peeled)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups apple cider
- Soup Toppings:
- cornbread croutons (recipe below)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 container Gorgonzola cheese
- For the Cornbread Croutons:
- 1 batch Cheesy Skillet Cornbread
- In a large pot, melt butter and add olive oil. Saute onions until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add curry powder, squash, and apples and cook for a minute more, until curry is fragrant but not burnt. Add salt, thyme, garlic powder, pepper, and water. Simmer for 30 minutes, until squash is tender.
- Puree soup in a blender or with an immersion blender. Add apple cider and enough water to get the soup to your desired consistency. Ladle soup into bowls and serve each one topped with cornbread croutons (below), a tablespoon of walnuts, and a tablespoon of Gorgonzola.
- For the Cornbread Croutons: Preheat oven to 400. Cut cornbread into 1-inch squares and put on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast in the oven for 3-4 minutes, until the bottom of the squares are browned. Flip and cook for 3-4 minutes more. If you like very crunchy croutons, increase baking time to about 5-6 minutes per side. Keep a close eye to make sure they don’t burn.