I can’t even tell you how much I’ve been craving carrot cake these past few weeks. I don’t know why I have fixated so much on this treat but I literally dream about it. So why haven’t I just made a carrot cake to feed the craving? I honestly have no idea.
Besides the fact that making my brother’s famed carrot cake from scratch is an all day affair and I needed carrot cake, like, STAT. Enter this glorious, glorious Carrot Cake Quick Bread, which answered most of my carrot cake cravings in a fraction of the time.
Sometimes, when a craving hits, you take the shortcut and it just works out (though, it should be noted that this is not the case when a crazy pregnant lady is craving Five Guys but the freeway to said Five Guys is closed due to construction and said pregnant lady must settle for Wendy’s. People, Wendy’s hamburgers are in no way shape or form close to being Five Guys hamburgers and the crazy pregnant lady will gnash her teeth in misery and rue the day. Believe me, I should know. End sorry hamburger sob story). Man, now I need Five Guys–and carrot cake!
But back to this Carrot Cake Quick Bread. That glorious cream cheese glaze is like, Have Mercy, (sans sweet, flowing Uncle Jesse mullet) amiright?
You guys, I know these tulips are fake but spring is slow coming to Michigan so I just had to make do. It’s just that I want blossoms so badly right now but they refuse to show their pretty faces! What’s a girl to do?
Cream cheese glaze is part of my food pyramid for one awesome reason: it is fabulous.
And let’s just take a moment to bask in that beautiful, crumbly crumb of this cake. It’s why I love quick breads so much. Those little pockets collect melted butter (or extra cream cheese glaze, no judging) like nobody’s business and make this carrot cake bread the perfect vehicle for French toasting.
Which I may or might have done for dinner. Again, no judging.
Oh yeah, shredded carrot + crushed pineapple + a whole lotta pecans makes me one happy, happy camper.
And don’t worry, I fully intend to make an actual carrot cake for Easter. Because when the carrot cake craving hit, it does not relent. I’m okay with that.
Carrot Cake Quick Bread With Cream Cheese Glaze
- For the Carrot Cake Quick Bread:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple, with juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- For the Cream Cheese Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, melted
- 1-2 teaspoons milk
- For the Carrot Cake Quick Bread:Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a bread pan with nonstick spray. In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, brown sugar, oil, crushed pineapple, honey, and vanilla. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Fold in carrot, coconut, and pecans. Pour batter into the bread pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. If the top is browning too quickly, put a piece of foil over it. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing the bread. Cool a little more before glazing.
- For the Cream Cheese Glaze:Mix ingredients in a small bowl. Glaze should be thick but runny enough to drizzle over the bread. Thicken with more powdered sugar (or add more milk to thin). Drizzle over coole carrot cake bread and sprinkle with pecans before serving.