Friends, it is my favorite time of year: Stretchy Pants Season! AKA, the holiday feast season known to many as “December”. I am so excited to share these Peppermint Bark Brownies with you because they are out of control awesome. I mean it.
You simply cannot resist a pan of holiday bliss when it looks like a winter wonderland come true.
Side bar: against Warren’s wishes, I have been diligently listening to Christmas tunes since, oh, about October. Don’t judge. It’s just that, when the temperatures drop, Christmas music becomes mandatory. Just for my sanity, you know?
It’s kind of like me and chocolate this time of year (or all times of year). It was hard for me to resist eating this lovely peppermint studded batter straight up, but I did it. Miracles do happen, evidently.
And it was really hard not to gobble up the ENTIRE pan of these brownies. They taunted me comme ça:
And then they bust out close up come hither moves like so:
See how tall these brownies stand? And those perfect chunks of melty semi sweet chocolate? No wimpy chocolate chips here. These brownies demanded chocolate upon chocolate and I complied.
Also, it’s totally normal for food to make demands of you, right? Just go with me here…
What I love most about these is not how addictive they are (and they are) but how perfectly they fit in with this holiday season. Each bite is like Christmas in dessert form.
You really can’t go wrong with fudgey, double chocolate brownies slathered with white chocolate and bits of chopped peppermint bark.
I’ll share my second favorite way of eating these bad boys in the next week or two. Just so you know, it involves copious amounts of white chocolate pudding. Get excited!
Now that it is really December, I can stop stealthily listening to Christmas songs and turn the volume up full blast. Sorry, Warren (but also, I’m not sorry at all).
All things are forgiven when you put a pan of these in front of a person. Every single thing.
Peppermint Bark Brownies
- For the Brownies
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup Andes peppermint crunch baking chips
- For the Peppermint Bark Topping
- 1 1/4 sticks butter, room temperature
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups powder sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips, melted
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 8 oz. peppermint bark candy bar
- For the Brownies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13 baking pan. In a large glass bowl combine sugars and butter and microwave for a minute (until butter is melted). Stir in the vanilla and eggs until complete combined. Add cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking soda and mix until smooth. Fold in chocolate chunks and peppermint chips. Bake for 30 minutes and cool completely before frosting.
- For the Peppermint Bark Topping: Cream butter and cream cheese together until very fluffy (about 5 minutes in a stand mixer). Add powdered sugar and vanilla and mix to combine. If you don’t sift the sugar (and I do not) it will be lumpy. That’s totally okay. Add melted white chocolate and mix in completely. Add milk. Smooth frosting on top of cooled brownies and sprinkle with roughly chopped peppermint bark, or with peppermint chips.
- Refrigerate frosted brownies for an hour to make cutting easier (though I won’t blame you if you dig right in).