You guys, I cannot even tell you how excited I am to share these Skinny Blueberry Lime Scones! For one thing, they are delicious and for another, they are made with so much love in honor of Zainab who is expecting her first child–a little boy!
Zainab is the powerhouse behind one of my favorite blogs, Blahnik Baker. You might remember our shoe and sweets collaboration and the Oreo Cinnamon Rolls I shared awhile ago. We have bonded over our shared adoration of all things shoes, sweets, blogging, and (of course) baby boys.
Z was one of my very first blogging friends and I have loved seeing her grow and evolve. I don’t know exactly how she juggles her academic/blog/personal life but she does and it amazes me continuously. On top of it all, she has a heart of gold and is always, always looking out for those around her.
When I think about her little boy, I love to imagine the two of them baking together as he grows, creating sweet memories that he will savor for his whole life.
I know Z is going to be a marvelous mother. From her example, she will inspire her boy to be a loving, stalwart man full of integrity and zest for life–I know this because these attributes are deeply ingrained in Zainab herself.
I can’t wait to “meet” the little bambino in a few short weeks and I wish Zainab and her family so much love and goodness as they welcome their little mister into the world!
Because Zainab is a lady after my own heart and loves tropical flavors, these scones are stuffed with lime zest, blueberries, and coconut. These are the flavors I crave when summer comes (well, pretty much any berry and citrus combination).While they would taste great in smoothie form, I wanted to make them into a sweet, carbolicious breakfast for Z to enjoy. And sure, these scones will never be considered health food, but I made a few alterations to cut the calories a bit–which means you can indulge in two scones instead of one!
Skinny Blueberry Lime Scones
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- zest from one lime
- 1/2 cup fat free milk (or almond milk)
- juice from half a lime
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup frozen (or fresh) blueberries
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 large egg white, slightly beaten (for egg wash)
- sugar to sprinkle on egg wash
- For the Lime Glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- juice from half a lime
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Put sugar and lime zest in a large liquid measuring cup and smoosh together with your fingers so the sugar becomes infused with lime. Add milk, lime juice, vanilla extract, and egg; whisk to combine.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; whisk to combine. Use a pastry blender or fork to cut in the butter until mixture takes on a sandy texture. Fold in blueberries and coconut. Add milk mixture and stir until just moist. The dough will be pretty sticky at this point.
- Turn dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and pat into an 8-inch circle. Cut dough into 10 triangles. Brush with egg white and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 18 minutes, until golden. Serve warm and drizzled with lime glaze.
- To make the lime glaze, whisk powdered sugar and lime juice together. Add milk a little bit at a time until you reach the consistency you like.